Establishing Florida Residency
Florida statute requires the claimant (the student or dependent student's parent or guardian who is claiming residency) to be a U.S. citizen, a foreign national in a nonimmigrant visa classification that grants the legal ability to establish a bona fide domicile in the United States, a permanent resident alien, parolee, asylee, Cuban-Haitian entrant, or legal alien granted indefinite stay by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The claimant must have established and maintained a legal Florida residence at least 12 months before the first day of the semester for which in-state status is sought. Other persons are eligible only if they qualify by one of the exceptions, as provided in s.1009.21 Florida Statutes.
In-state status is only for those residents who reside in the state permanently with established legal domicile in Florida. Permanent Florida residency is demonstrated by the absence of ties to any other state and establishment of a bona fide domicile in Florida.
Living in or attending school in Florida will not, in itself, establish legal residence. The 12 month qualifying period must be for the purpose of maintaining a bona fide domicile rather than for the purpose of maintaining a mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment.
Students who depend upon out-of-state parents for support are presumed to be legal residents of the same state as their parents. Students are either dependent or independent. In rare cases, a student may qualify for temporary in-state status by qualifying under an exception category.
The claimant must provide two or more of the following documents in support of their claim as a Florida resident for tuition purposes. At least one of the following documents, with an issue date twelve months prior to the term of admission, must be submitted:
- Florida voter's registration card
- Florida driver's license
- Florida State identification card
- Florida vehicle registration
- Proof of permanent home in Florida occupied as the claimants primary residence
- Proof of homestead exemption in Florida
- Official transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years, if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months
- Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12-month period
These documents may be used in conjunction with one of the required documents listed above:
- A declaration of domicile in Florida in accordance with s.222.17, Florida Statutes
- Florida professional or occupational license
- Florida incorporation
- Document evidencing verifiable family ties to a Florida resident
- Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization
- Any other documentation that supports your request for resident status
- Utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments
- Lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments
- Official state, federal or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida